Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ninja Bed Hunt

Oh, what a week its been at Kindergarten! The first week has been exhausting, but by Friday, it all seemed like it was worth it. I can honestly say that everyday I felt like things were a little better than the day before. The most problematic part of my day all week was dismissal--who's going where, when, and with who? Friday was the first day out of seven where there was no issues-WhooHoo!!

Things that made me smile this week:
On the first day of school, we read the story "The Gingerbread Man" and then we go on a hunt for the Gingerbread Man around the school--this gingerbread hunt is designed to be a tour of the school for the kids. When we made it to the office, one of my little guys tells the guidance counselor, Mrs. Barber, that we are there on a "Ninja Bed" Hunt. Mrs. Barber just smiled and told him that she had not seen the Ninja Bed :)

This year I have a student who has not been to preschool before coming to Kindergarten, and this experience is completely new to me--it requires a different kind of patience than I am used to (and there are times I am amazed by my own patience with kids--I tend to be pretty impatient with things in real life--I'm sure Mike would tell you all about it if you asked). So on with the story, the student came to me a week ago completely unable to write his name, by Tuesday I had taught him to trace his name, and by Friday he had taught himself how to write his name on his own--I am lucky enough to have a job that completely amazes me all the time, and I was definitely amazed when I watched this child write his name neatly on his own on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment