Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Our Baby Boy!!

Wednesday we had our first ultrasound!! Mike and I were so excited to finally get to see our baby... we'd heard the heartbeat, we'd felt it move, but it was something completely different and amazing to finally get to see the baby!!

We told the ultrasound technician that we definitely wanted to know the sex of the baby--so that was one of the first things we did!! The tech moved her wand around a bit, and then confirmed what Mike and I already thought--we are having a BOY!! (I did ask if she's ever been wrong... you know, just in case... and she said she hasn't been wrong in over 20 years... so yeah, we're definitely having a boy) Here's our proof ;)

Side view of the baby--the five white dots above his tummy are his fingertips.
His little foot.... and yes, I counted, there are 5 little toes :)
More pictures of our little boy :)

The tech said that he is measuring exactly for his due date!! He weighed 7 ounces as of last Wednesday. We had an appointment with Dr. Leeds after our ultrasound to measure my tummy and discuss the ultrasound. I am measuring right where I should be and everything on the baby came back completely normal and healthy. The only concern that he has is that I have a 2 vessel umbilical cord. He said that "historically" 2 vessel umbilical cords are associated with profound birth defects 1/3 of the time (which we have no signs of), and 2/3 of the time the baby is normal and healthy--he says everything appears to be completely healthy, so we're praying he's a healthy baby. He does want to do another ultrasound at 24 weeks to make sure that the baby is continuing to grow the way he should because sometimes the 2 vessel cord can cause growth restriction. But Dr. Leeds did not seem worried about the umbilical cord and our baby's health at all, so I am trying not to worry and just let our baby grow. I googled 2 vessel umbilical cord and scared myself to tears, but I keep reminding myself that my baby has no signs of any abnormalities and is perfectly healthy and right on target for size, so I'm learning not to worry the best I can. His kicks certainly feel strong and healthy :)

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! I can totally see the images in the ultrasound (fingers, toes, profile, etc) and pointed them out to Tim. :) We are very happy for you guys and are counting down the days until the little mister's arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn had a 2 vessel umbilical cord too and she's perfect in our eyes :) I read the intertnet as well and cried like a baby, after our doctors visit I didn't worry much. So happy he's doing so well Jess, I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete